Skip to navigation Skip to content
Mobility Citycard (front)

Mobility Citycard

The Mobility Citycard is available to permanent city residents with a qualifying disability. It gives cardholders free travel as part of the English National Concessionary Travel Scheme along with the benefits of great retail, leisure and library savings!

Want to hear more about the great savings available to you? Click here to find out more!

About the National Scheme

The English National Concessionary Travel Scheme allows cardholders free travel on all local bus services in England between 9.30am and 11pm Monday to Friday and at all times at weekends and bank holidays. In addition to this, Nottingham City Council also provide additional travel benefits including free travel before 9.30am and after 11pm and free tram travel to Nottingham city residents.

Nottingham City Mobility Citycard holders also receive the additional benefit of being able to travel for free on the trams at all times. Along with Nottingham City Senior Citycard holders and Nottingham County Council Senior and Mobility card holders, who can travel for free between 9.30am and 11pm Monday to Friday and at all times on weekends and Bank Holidays.

Please note that your pass is only valid on bus services outside Nottingham, not tube, trams or trains. Certain bus services are also excluded, such as premium night buses, trent barton's Red Arrow and National Express services. If you're in any doubt about a particular service, please contact the operator to confirm whether your pass will be accepted. If you're unable to use conventional bus services, there is a door-to-door service available provided by Easylink. For more information, contact Easylink directly on (0115) 969 1801 or click here.

What happens next?

You will be asked to make an appointment with an independent assessor based on Mansfield Road who will assess whether you meet the criteria for the card. They will offer you an appointment within 2 weeks from the date in which you phone (this process must not take longer than 4 weeks) and you'll need to take with you any medical evidence to support your application (if you have any).

Following your appointment, if you're assessed as being eligible for a Citycard we'll produce your card and post it to you within 10 working days. If you do not meet the criteria, we'll write to you and let you know.

Please note that if you're on the higher rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance or receive 8 or more points under moving around or communicating verbally of the Personal Independence Payment (PIP), you do not need to attend a medical assessment. If you didn't supply proof of this at the application stage (detailed above), you'll have the opportunity to once we've processed your application when we write to you.

Acceptable Supporting Documents

Proof of Name or Age
Letter of Pension Entitlement
Current Passport
Medical Card
Birth Certificate (unless your name has changed)
Driving Licence (paper or photocard)
Proof of City Residence
Current Council Tax Bill / Letter / Payment Book
Current Housing Association Rent Book
Current Television Licence
Residential Utility Bill* (except mobile phone)
Residential Bank / Building Society Statement *
Department of Work and Pensions letter *
Residential Credit Card Statement *

* These items must be dated within the last 3 months

Applying for a Mobility Citycard

Am I Eligible?

You can apply for a Mobility Citycard if you are under the current qualifying state pension age for women (please contact us for clarification) and are permanent city residents with a qualifying disability. Please take a moment to read the criteria below to check whether you will be eligible for your card before you apply.

To qualify for a Mobility Citycard, you must be either:

  • Sight impaired or severely sight impaired
  • Profoundly or severely deaf - minimum hearing loss if it reaches 70 dBHL
  • Without speech in any language - people whose speech may be slow or difficult to understand do not qualify
  • A disability, or an injury, which has substantial long term effect on ability to walk i.e.
    • they cannot walk or
    • they are virtually unable to walk
    • the exertion required to walk would constitute a danger to their life or would be likely to lead to a serious deterioration of their health
  • Do not have arms or have long term loss of the use of both arms
  • A learning disability which includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning – should be able to qualify for specialist services or may have special educational provision
  • Would, if applied for, prevent the granting of a motor vehicle licence under Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1998, section 92 (other than on the grounds of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol)

How do I apply?

If you meet a minimum of one of the criteria above, you will need to apply in person at our Travel Centre in the Broadmarsh Bus Station in Nottingham City Centre.

You will need to take with you proof of your address (such as a bank statement or utility bill), proof of your age and if you're on the higher rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance, please take a copy of this with you too (this will mean you won't have to go to an assessment). You will also need to know your National Insurance number as this is required on the application form.  Whilst you're there, we'll take a photograph of you for your new Citycard and once we've processed your application we'll write to you at your home address.

If you want to download the application form in advance, please click on the link below. Once you've downloaded it, you can print it, fill it out and take it with you to the Broadmarsh Travel Centre.